The Château Buildings
The Château is built on a rocky promontory overlooking the valley of the Célé. Surrounded by high walls on three sides, it was originally protected by a dry moat on the south side spanned by a drawbridge. The buildings we see today date mainly from the 13th and 17th centuries. Of the earlier castle, only the outline remains: a “U” shape, open to the north where there would originally have been stables. Below the north end of the courtyard are tunnels leading to loopholes for archers from where the castle could be defended.
The main tower, reached by a stone staircase to the west of the courtyard, dates from 1204 and the time of the Albigensian Crusade. The tower lost its original roof and its top floor after the revolution but still dominates the surrounding countryside.
To the east of the courtyard is the Grande Salle or Salle des Etats, a two-storey galleried room, with thick walls demonstrating its medieval origins.
To the west of the courtyard are workshops below a terrace where the chapel stood until the Second World War. In a very poor state, the chapel was demolished and replaced by a terrace by the then owner Jeanne Loviton after she acquired the chateau in 1939.
The main entrance to the courtyard and the chateau, guarded by two lions, bears the arms of the family Lostange, owners from the early 17th until the 19th centuriy. The Marquis Louis de Lostanges was the Seneschal of Quercy, the king’s representative in the region until the Revolution.